I saw this on John Scalzi’s blog and thought I’d play along.
It reminds me of a quote I read some time ago on some obscure blog (or maybe it was Facebook) that essentially said:
Every person you meet knows something you don’t.
I think this meme of listing ten things that you’ve accomplished (or experienced) fits that sentiment. If we share our knowledge and experiences, maybe we’ll all get to some cosmic understanding that will change the world. Or maybe we’ll just waste some time.
So, let’s see what obscure things I’ve done. Then you can join the fun and list your own. Remember to provide a link to your ten things in the comment section of this post.
- Flew in a twin-engine, four-seat plane for which the pilot navigated by sight over the Sierra Nevada mountain range
- Backcountry skied Mt. Tallac on the southern shore of Lake Tahoe
- Drove a tractor for a crop-yield research project just outside of UC Davis
- Fertilized sunflowers on the island of Kauai in Hawaii for a selective-hybrid program of an international seed company
- Had (have) sex with my husband (I know you haven’t done that!)
- Grew up on a farm (surprisingly, this is becoming rare as our population becomes more urban)
- Paddled in a kayak around Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay
- Got assisted by world-class cyclist during a training ride (his hand rested lightly on my back as he literally pushed me up a hill – nice!)
- Rode my bike around both the North Island and South Island of New Zealand
- Set fire to a forest (more than once, and got paid for it)